Calvary Chapel School of Discipleship – San Clemente
Calvary Chapel Distinctives – TH180
Instructor – Pastor Holland Davis
Spring Semester – 2022
Monday 6-9 pm
This course combines the Calvary Chapel Distinctives with corresponding theological topics. Students will learn what makes Calvary Chapel ministries unique and teach them the Calvary Chapel style of ministry. The theological topics are designed to enrich the student and provide a basic understanding of Biblical and Systematic Theology.
- Grow more in love with Jesus Christ, establishing a deeper knowledge of Him and intimacy with Him through the study of His Word. The primary goal of this class and the CCSoD as a whole is to grow in your relationship with Jesus.
- Gain a working understanding of Calvary Chapel Ministries
- Learn Biblical and Systematic Theology as it relates to Calvary Chapel ministries
- Develop a personal philosophy of ministry.
First Day of Class January 31
Spring Break April 11
Last Day of Class May 16
Final Exam May 23
6:00 – 6:50 PM – Calvary Distinctives Topic
7:00 – 8:40 PM – Theological Topic
Class 1: January 31 – The Call To Ministry | Theology of Salvation | Mike Urciuoli
Class 2: February 7 – God’s Model For The Church | Theology Of Acts | Bill Holdridge
Class 3: February 14 – Church Government | Theology of the Church | Roger Charles
Class 4: February 21 – Empowered By The Spirit | Theology of The Holy Spirit | Brian Hill
Class 5: February 28 – Building The Church God’s Way | Charisma Versus Charismania | Brad Lambert | Holland Davis
Class 6: March 7 – Grace Upon Grace | The Theology of Paul | Bryan Newberry
Class 7: March 14 – The Priority Of The Word | Theology of The Bible | Erik Tribble
Class 8: March 21 – The Centrality of Jesus Christ | Theology of Jesus | Bertin Almazan
Class 9: March 28 – The Rapture of The Church | Last Days Theology | Patrick Ferrell
Class 10: April 4 – Having Begun In The Spirit | Prayer and Intercession | Brandon McCullough
Class 11: April 18 – The Supremacy Of Love | Theology of John | Steve Pascoe
Class 12: April 25 – Striking The Balance | Biblical Interpretation | Greg Boyd
Class 13: May 2 – Ventures Of Faith | Missiology: Evangelism, Missions and Church Planting | Tom Stowe
Class 14: May 9 – Singing A New Song | Doxology | Holland Davis
Class 15: May 16 – Spiritual Warfare | Theology of Angels and Demons | Scott Parker
- Attendance/Participation – One aspect of grading will be based upon your attendance and participation during classes. If you always come and share a little, you’ll do great! Everyone is allowed one unexcused absence.
- Homework – Each week you will be required to read a portion of Calvary Chapel Distinctives by Chuck Smith and The Moody Handbook of Theology by Paul Enns.
- Homework – notes are to be taken on each class and turned in the following class for credit
- *All homework assignments are due on the designated date; there will be NO late homework accepted.
- Midterm – We will have a Midterm project due during the term. The project will consist of a Book Report on POWER by Chuck Smith
- Final – We will have a Final Exam at the end of the semester on May 23. Students will be required to identify and describe 5 Calvary Chapel Distinctives
Your grade in this class will be based upon the criteria above. The percentages are as follows:
Attendance = 20%
Homework = 20%
Midterm = 30%
Final = 30%
97-100 A+ 77-79 C+ Below 60 F
93-96 A 73-76 C
90-92 A- 70-72 C-
87-89 B+ 67-69 D+
83-86 B 63-66 D
80-82 B- 60-62 D-
Anyone who plagiarizes (i.e., presents as one’s own work something which has been taken from someone else) may receive an automatic failure on that piece of work and a warning. (Plagiarism can involve the taking of an idea or structure of a written work as well as the actual copying of what is written.) If you use someone else’s material, you must give them proper credit for using their work. For a first-time offense, the student will receive a 0% grade for the paper with a 1-week grace period to rectify and correct the paper. If such corrections are made on time and to the standards of the course outline the result will be a grade maximum grade of 60%. A second offense of plagiarism will result in failure (“F”) for the final course grade.
Password for all videos is Matt108
You will need the Moody Handbook of Theology by Paul P. Enns (2 options available):
Calvary Distinctives by Pastor Chuck Smith (3 options available plus study guide):
Calvary Chapel Distinctives (FREE PDF) Calvary Chapel Distinctives Study Guide Recommended Reading: Charismas Versus Charismania by Pastor Chuck Smith (3 options available): Power (Paperback) (Previously titled Charisma versus Charismania) Charisma Versus Charismania (FREE Kindle Edition) Charisma Versus Charismania (FREE PDF)